Thursday 17 March 2016

Kilts Of Paul Henry


A Visit To A Master Craftsman




Photo courtesy of Paul Henry  Kilts


Today I had the pleasure of a visit to a renowned kilt maker. (Paul Henry). Now I know absolutely nothing about kilts but have always found them to be very attractive and unusual. My immediate neighbour belongs to the clan Macfarlane Hunting and occasionally he can be seen in his full attire off to attend some important event. He looks magnificent. Looking at the website of Paul Henry, I can see that lots of men look wonderful in kilts too - sadly I shall never be able to persuade Mr Whizz Kid to join into this sartorial elegant fashion seen here in all its glory.




Stolen from the Internet





A friend has now introduced me to this marvellous man, who not only makes the most inspiring kilts but is also expert in wool dyeing, spinning, weaving, knitting, book binding, (phew!) and probably another million crafts as well. He agreed to give me some information regarding weaving - but not only was that so very worthwhile but he enthused me with so much more besides.




Photo courtesy of Paul Henry Kilts





His workroom was full to bursting with samples, wools, kilts, and the tiniest sample loom, (the much bigger ones are housed elsewhere). Here are a few photos to give you a taste of the organised chaos in which he turns out the most beautiful garments. I just love to see workrooms that look like the people who own them actually do some work!




Some tartan samples
Glimpse of  a tartan scarf
Everywhere I looked - tartan
That beautiful scarf again
Tools of the trade


Learning how to 'twiddle' a fringe

 
A glimpse of genius
 
 
 
Isle of Skye pleated
Photo courtesy of Paul Henry Kilts
 

 
I feel so in awe of this wonderful man who makes the most beautiful kilts and clothing and, I am told by a friend, is an expert cook too! What more could one want of a man?
 
 
 
 
 
Photo courtesy of Paul Henry Kilts
 
 
 
The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 2006
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I've never given much thought about wearing a kilt and have seen men wear them on TV, but never in person. This person who makes these sure is a craftsman, and, to be honest, they do look really good. The last picture shown with the kilt getting a little "air" under it was really funny!

    ReplyDelete

If you like anything you see do leave me a message to let me know.